1 reply [Last post]
Wyndham
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
New version 3.04990

I like the improvements in the new upgrade. Faster rendering and better brush controls(for me at least)I do have a question on how 2 images were done that are on the home page & examples The dog and cat portrait and the farm house on the splash banner.it looks like the farm house looks like several layers but in trying to scrape the palete knife across ( as i think the artist did) the knife tool rotates around not giving the effect I tried to emulate. Also in a real Palette Knife the texture of the canvas allows for open voids of paint not a continous solid line, is there a pressure level that comes into play somewhere?How does one keep a tool either hoizontal or vertical and not allow it to dance around.It might be a simple thing but it has eluded me.Thanks for your help

postworkshop team
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
While you are on the Freehand

While you are on the Freehand painting tab, on the Settings window open the Brush angle property group and select Manual. Most of the paint presets use the Auto mode to automatically follow the contours of the original image (that's why the brush "dances"). In Manual mode the brush will remain horizontal, vertical or whatever angle you set by holding down the right mouse button or by using the Base Angle slider (hold down the shift key during right button rotation to restrict the angle to multiples of 45 degrees).

You can also try the Mouse path option, to ingnore the image content and make the brush follow the path of your mouse or stylus.

The images you mentioned were created by Attila Tokai, so I don't have first hand information about the process, but it looks like he applied a layer of photo cloning (with auto angle) and a few additional strokes in manual mode (that's where you need some real artistic judgement).

About the canvas texture: PostworkShop does not calculate with the canvas texture during painting, the scanned brushstrokes carry the texture of the real canvas. So if you need a rough canvas effect, I suggest you paint and scan (or just find on the net) the appropriate brushstrokes and create a custom brush family. We have tutorials about it.

As the canvas+brush interaction is not calculated in realtime, the pressure unfortunately won't change the look of the brushstrokes, you can only make them less opaque if you use a pressure sensitive tablet and set the Tablet properties up accordingly on the Settings panel of the Freehand Painter.

There is a thing you can still do to leave more "holes" in the painting: in the Brush dynamics group select a higher Spacing value. PostworkShop will paint sparser brush strokes, so the neigbouring brush strokes won't fill up the "holes" in each other (if there were holes in the original hand painted and scanned brush marks).